Friday, May 15, 2015




From Handi-ride to my ride
BY: Ginger Beck
When I first started the Denbigh House I was a shell of person!  I had no self esteem and felt like I was useless! 
I could not drive.  I had to depend on Handi-ride to take me everywhere I needed to go. This meant I had to stand in the rain, snow, cold and wait up to an hour for the ride to come and get me!  It also meant I had to stand out in the dark waiting on a ride that would never come! I would make many phone calls trying to find out what was happening with my ride!  Of course, the answer was always excuses.
When I came here I was having five types of seizures.  After a few years of working with medications and finally finding the correct ones I was able to be seizure free for over a year.  I now have a legal license and I am driving a car my father gave to me. The freedom is exhilarating!
With help from the Denbigh House helping to work with my TBI problems, my self esteem and many other issues I had due to my TBI and way of living,  I am now no longer homeless and have my own place and am more independent than I have been in more years than I can count. I still have the help of an aide due to my difficulties with my TBI, however life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment