Thursday, May 22, 2014

Job Assessment Experience


By Shasmin A.
For the past years, I have been searching for a job, but having difficulties. I talked to my vocational counselor and after working through the Denbigh House, I received a job coach.  Yesterday, May 21, 2014, my job assessments began.  I went to TJ Maxx in Newport News, Virginia and had my first job assessment with my new job coach. There, I was offered to work in three different areas: as a dressing room assistant, a stocker, or a truck unloader. I chose the dressing room assistant. During the two hours I was there, I was taught how to work the dressing rooms. First, I had to check the rooms to make sure there wasn’t any paper or clothing left inside. Next, I was taught that if I worked in that area, it was necessary to keep the dressing room area clean: pick up trash, dust areas, vacuum if needed, and wipe the dressing room benches and mirrors. Once the customers started to come to the dressing room to try on clothing, the process was to ask how many items they had to try on, count the items to make sure that it was correct, and then give them a card that had the number of item on it to put on their door. After the customer(s) finished, if he or she didn’t like the item, you take it from them and place them in different sections on a card to later be picked up by someone else in the store. When you go through the job assessments, you can choose to try out as many places as you find you would like to. Through my first assessment, TJ Maxx employees learned that I am very friendly and enjoy helping and working with people and I can catch onto the tasks easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment