Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What My Denbigh House Has Done For Me!

By Richard D.


Way back in 1977, I was in an automobile accident which came very close to ending my life. I had a traumatic brain injury and spent three and a half months in coma. After spending three months in physical, speech therapy and occupational therapy I was left to function on my own as best I could. My life consisted of nothing more than spending my days watching TV. All of my former friends seemed to have deserted me.
My father, an Episcopal priest, learned of a new facility for individuals with severe brain injuries known as The Denbigh House and somehow got me accepted as a new member. When he told me that I would now be spending three days a week there I was very upset because I saw it as more therapy, but he talked me into trying it, so I went there and got the shock of my life.

The Denbigh House was nothing near therapy, but six and half hours of meaningful activity doing volunteer work, such as delivering Meals on Wheels, and making new friends with the other members, who were in the same boat.

I became a member of the Denbigh House in 2008 after spending all of the years since February 1977 with no social life or any close friends. How-ever since I became a member, I have plenty of friends, with whom I have a lot of social contact and find myself involved in tasks that I find beneficial to psyche and wellbeing. I am doing activities with some significance at last! Although it is only minor volunteer work of no real significance to society, it means quite a bit to the people I serve. I know this because I have received thanks on several occasions.     

No comments:

Post a Comment