Friday, January 16, 2015

Perseverance


Perseverance 



By: Korey Sylver

One thing that I have learned to develop since having a TBI is perseverance. In the words of George E. Allen, “People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to."

Having a Traumatic Brain Injury prevents me from doing a lot of things as easily and quickly as I did them prior to my injury, but prior to my injury; I was also the type of person that would quit after one failed attempt. Now, I realize that in order for me to truly be successful in anything, I can’t give up at the first sign of failure. Because if I do throw in the towel every time things don’t go right the first time, I will never make any progress in life. Traumatic Brain Injury Survivors can be much more than just survivors, we also can overcome. And the only way to overcome is to be persistent with your plans and goals. Two main goals that I set for myself since acquiring my T.B.I. are regaining my drivers’ license and obtaining my college degree. So far, the roads to these two goals have been very rough and I haven’t been able to smooth them out, but I will not stop trying. Achieving these goals will also be a great example for my daughter, who will see that her dad didn’t let obstacles stop him and in turn know that she can achieve anything that she sets her mind too. “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another." Walter Elliott. Achieving these goals of mine is something that I can do, as long as I don't quit the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment