Thursday, August 14, 2014

Depression after a Brain Injury



by Barry F.


My life started again in June, 14982 when I crossed the street and was hit by a car. After this incident my whole personality changed. I began to feel sad all the time . I had bedepression.jpgen a happy person most of the time prior to the accident. I began to wonder if something was wrong with me. Also, I began to notice my memory was failing and I was only thirty-two years old. Therefore, I became depressed even more.


As time went by I got more involved socially. However, the depression would not go away. I began seeing a neurologist. He told me that depression is a common side effect of brain injuries. He prescribed antidepressants to help improve my mood. This did help for a time but the medication side effects made it impossible to continue treatment.


I began to attend group therapy and counseling sessions. However, listening to people's problems just made me more depressed. Finally, I was accepted into a brain injury program at Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center in Staunton, VA. I learned coping mechanisms and anger management techniques to combat the depression. After a year there I was better able to control my depression.


Currently, I am a member of the Denbigh House in Newport News, VA. The staff there has made me feel more productive and useful. My whole life has turned around. I am happier than I have ever been and I am engaged to be married! To conclude, I would just like to say don't give up on yourself to others with depression. It is an uphill battle at first but the harder you work the better you will feel about yourself. Depression can be overcome with therapy and patience. However, it could take a very long time before you are fully recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment